Tuesday, February 5, 2008

What is a Moderate Anyway?

I used to call myself a moderate. Then I came to the conclusion that I have very strongly held opinions, not opinions that are moderately held. The fact that they don't line up as "liberal" or "conservative" merely shows that the left/right continuum is not the only way to measure peoples' political beliefs.

For example, I have a strong belief in fiscal responsibility. I do not believe that we should pass our bills on to our children. Each generation should pay its own way. I don't believe that this belief is well-represented by either the conservatives or the liberals in the current environment.

A also believe that we should fight corruption wherever possible. Again, I don't see this as a conservative or a liberal position. I can come up with examples of members of both parties who I believe to be selling their positions and votes to the highest bidder.

I believe that we should have a moral foreign policy. I don't see this as a liberal or a conservative issue either; I see aspects of both approaches that contribute to a moral foreign policy.