Monday, March 24, 2008

Patriotism and Dissent

I've been told that I should not criticize the Bush administration for invading Iraq. After all, we're already there, and we should "look forward" and "support the troops."

So when are we permitted to call for a condemnation of an administration that lies to its people to drag us into a war that most people don't want, (and that we don't need for any legitimate national security reasons)? I'm tired of being told that "now isn't the time." When, exactly, will the time come?

In this country, part of being patriotic is defending against tyranny by criticizing wrong-headed and erroneous actions by the people in power.

Fortunately, the current generation seems to be able to draw the distinction between the poor saps in uniform who are just doing their jobs and the kingpins who lie to the American people to try to get sweetheart oil contracts for their buddies.

I can understand and appreciate the argument that we have to clean up the mess that Bush & co have left. That doesn't mean that I have to be happy about it. And it certainly doesn't mean that I should not criticize the immoral actions that brought us to this point.