Please read the below articles. If you agree with me, please contact your Senators and Representatives. Here are some proposed talking points:
- Thank you for your support of Puerto Rico and her citizens in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria.
- The Puerto Rican energy grid has been destroyed because it was designed to fail. It depends on long-distance transmission lines across mountains in a climate with frequent hurricanes.
- Business interests are able to extract ever more money from the Puerto Rican people to pay for the inevitable major repairs.
- PROMESA (the board that enforces austerity on Puerto Rico as part of the debt crisis resolution) is likely to listen to those interests over the long-term interests of the Puerto Rican people.
- Fortunately, there is a cheaper and more reliable alternative. Energy literally falls from the sky in Puerto Rico, both in the form of abundant sunshine and consistent winds generated by the mountainous terrain. A distributed generation model with battery backup and limited dependence on interconnects is the right way to go.
- Since US citizens in Puerto Rico do not have a votein Congress, we rely on you and other legislators of good conscience to protect their interests.
- Wired: Puerto Rican Grid Needs Overhaul
- Washington Post: Power Failures Spur New Interest in Renewable Energy